Truth is, 21st Century jobs are no longer confined to the four walls of an office; now remote work / telework is more prominent than ever, and with it, a set of new technological opportunities have arisen. Focusing on communication and learning, you can now share concepts and train your remote workforce from anywhere around the globe; more specifically, you can do online training with the help of a modern essential: the mobile device.
The rise of online training
The fact is that the use of technology for online training has seriously increased in North America over the past decade. For instance, in Canada, 75% of organizations use technology to deliver some type of training. And by now, 14% of all training in organizations use some form of Computer Based Training (CBT- which refers to any sort of learning using a computer-like interface. For now, virtual classroom, webcasting, and video broadcasting are the most popular forms of mobile learning; yet, the market is rapidly growing for more and more innovative teaching delivery methods. Without a doubt, with the help of good design to ensure effectiveness, technology has become the modern medium for delivering training.
How to get optimal results with online training
So what type of online training can be done with the aid of mobile or portable technologies? For optimal results, short videos or information are presented in two- to six-minute sessions addressing one or two learning points. Now, this is not to say that more information cannot be presented in other formats such as more complex (and increasingly popular) computer simulations, games, and remote role-playing, but that as of today, methods that are simpler and thus, less expensive account for most of the remote learning taking place in the workplace.
Thus, it is a no brainer to see the high compatibility between having employers doing remote work and mobile device training. That is, while the modern employee does remote work from home or from diverse locations in the planet, there is an increasing demand for non-classical training; and it makes sense, unconventional and flexible work arrangements should be coupled with unconventional and flexible training methods. There are so many advantages to mobile training!
Advantages for the company:
- All trainees receive the same training
- Large number of employees can be trained in a short period
- Traditional constraints, such as schedule, are eliminated
- You can train across the globe
- You can track trainees performance
- It is extremely useful for legal documentation
- Flying your workforce to one location and accommodating them is expensive!
Advantages for the trainee:
- Available all the time (just-in-time training)/ convenience/flexibility
- There is greater learner control over content. You can go back if you did not understand something
- Self-pacing allows for progress at your own rhythm
- Greater comfort with your own progress
- Trainees can be wherever in the globe
- There is considerable reduced travel time; greater geographical flexibility
Therefore, from cellphones, to tablets, and to the more traditional laptop, remote learning is here for the long run, because after all, remote work is here to stay. Innovative work arrangements ask for innovative teaching and training.
Written by Samantha at Workhoppers; where companies and candidates connect directly to get flexible jobs done.