Manufacturing Quality & Welding Engineer, Infrastructure and Industrial
We are a world leading safety specialist providing reliable, innovative and cost-effective working-at-height solutions and services. These solutions are used in many end-user applications, in particular in real estate, industrial, construction, energy, telecoms and infrastructure projects. Our solutions portfolio comprises of height safety, load measurement and control, lifting and handling, temporary and permanent access, in-situ inspection and maintenance services.
Established more than 70 years ago, the company today has significant manufacturing facilities in Europe (France, Germany, Poland, Spain), the USA (Minneapolis, Houston), Canada (Toronto, Montreal), China (Shanghai), Singapore and Turkey. These facilities are supported by dedicated centres of excellence in R&D, engineering and safety standards. We have customers in 120 countries, subsidiaries in 19 countries, 10,000 distributors around the world, and employs around 1,100 people.
This network of expertise, experience and geographical locations allows us to achieve global reach with local presence.
Our team is growing. We are looking for a Manufacturing Quality & Welding Engineer to join us as we continue to grow in our niche markets serving the Industrial and Infrastructure markets. Our team members are motivated individuals that help each other do remarkable things every day. We’re as diverse as they come but we are all like-minded in our attitudes, staying active learners, staying positive in our work zones and striving to do exceptional work. We face challenges together and we win together. And together, we deliver world-class solutions that quietly transform the way the world thinks about access and maintenance.
Manufacturing Quality & Welding Engineer
We’re looking for someone who is a strong communicator, adept in manufacturing engineering fundamentals, knowledgeable in welding processes related to custom metals fabrication and is experienced with ISO/OHSAS quality environment. You are the key interface between our projects/engineering team and our manufacturing team.
As the Manufacturing Quality & Welding Engineer, you are critical to ensuring timely execution of our manufacturing segment responsible for the outcome of the project, which means there are occasions where you personally have to get busy ensuring design drawings are completed, chase down fabricated parts, procure subcontractor resources as required… whatever is reasonable and required to get the project successfully closed. You will develop, validate, and support manufacturing and weld processes that facilitate the fabrication and assembly of custom-engineered components according to quality and cost objectives, both internally and with our subcontractor / vendors. You are responsible for the weld design-for-manufacturability interface with engineering teams, prepare, review, issue and maintain shop instruction sheets, provides and conceptually designs tooling, jigs, and fixtures for use in welding, creates tooling drawings or works with vendors to create tooling drawings suitable for fabrication needs, performs metallurgical and mechanical evaluation of welds and failure analysis. Travel is expected to be 0-30% of your time.
Processes at Tractel are fairly typical of construction/heavy manufacturing type machine design-build industries wherein our teams will progress through customer specifications to drawings to review, production, installation and commissioning. A job description would not be complete without a catch all requirement that you perform other duties as assigned by Management.
Our engineering and projects teams are highly collaborative and moves fast on executing new projects and ideas. We try out new ideas constantly, learn from them and execute again… You will be a critical part in taking Tractel and the project/engineering team to the next level in this position.
In order to be considered for this position, you MUST have:
· Min. 5+ years of North American metal fabrication experience, that is backed by a Bachelors degree, Masters degree and/or PhD in mechanical, structural or civil and other related engineering disciplines.
· Strong working knowledge of steel and aluminum welding requirements (i.e. AWS D1.1/D1.2, CSA W47/59, etc)
· Working knowledge of welding to ASME Code Sections III, VIII and IX or AWS is preferred.
· Experience in developing welding procedures to ASME & CWB Codes for various materials including all type of steels and nonferrous metals. Knowledge of NDE testing an asset.
· Welding inspector licenses are an asset.
· Large custom machine design and manufacturing experience.
· Superior communications skills in ENGLISH are a must
· Strong working knowledge and demonstrable capability of AutoCAD, Solidworks and MS Office products
· Good understanding of welding symbols, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), tolerance stack up analysis, to complete sketches, layout drawings, production/working level drawings with fabrication
· Strong working knowledge of structures including relevant steel, aluminum, welding ASME, ANSI and CSA standards
· A P.Eng designation. Designation as a CWB qualified welding engineer.
· Strong team player mentality with the ability to develop effective relationships with internal and external customers, subcontractors and suppliers.
· Proven problem solving skills and organizational skills and can excel in the role with minimal supervision.
We offer a competitive compensation package. You must be able to travel through North America without restrictions and have authorization (PR or citizen) to work in Canada without our support.