- Are you a self-starter looking to make an impact in a growing interior design firm?
- Are you an overachiever with a lifelong passion for interior design?
- Are you prepared to wear many different hats and take on the tasks that are required in order to get the job done?
- Do you have 4+ years of full-time Interior Design experience after graduation?
- If yes, consider joining our growing team!
We are an Ottawa-based award-winning interior design firm designing globally. This is an opportunity to work on a large array of projects, including restaurants, offices, commercial condos, sales & design centres as well as custom residential builds. From renovation to new construction, West of Main is focused on attracting one-of-a-kind projects and diversifying our portfolio in both residential and commercial design. We love the mix of projects we take on, and we're definitely not a one-trick pony. As an Intermediate Interior Designer at West of Main, you will have the opportunity to bring projects from conception to reality. Not only will you provide support to more senior staff but you will be encouraged to collaborate and share your ideas. We're always looking to be impressed and we're offering the opportunity for quick growth within the company for the right candidate.
The company strives to achieve our client's goals through innovative, intelligent and creative solutions that are inspired by designs from around the world.
Good design should 'breathe life into spaces', making them more functional, adaptable and pleasurable to experience.
Principal Senior designer Sascha Lafleur and working alongside a current team of 10 and growing, our ideal candidate will fulfil an essential role in the firm by: - having design and technical skills to contribute to both stand-alone and integrated projects - establishing, nurturing and maintaining effective client relationships - working with our team to develop design concepts that reflect the firm’s passion for creativity and innovation - being actively involved within the firm to promote our culture and engage positively with all staff, clients and suppliers
As an Intermediate Interior Designer at West of Main you will be responsible for the following:
- Understanding individual client needs; generating aesthetic ideas based on these needs and establishing; construction drawing packages, inspiration boards, merchandising lists and estimates
- Tracking hours
- Inputting costs and purchase orders
- Quality checking deliveries, showroom staging & warehouse organization
- Administrative filing and organisation
- Dealing with a client budget, sourcing and ordering appropriate materials, finishes and products
- Proficiently surveying and taking site measurements
- Communicating with suppliers
- Meeting with clients and runnings jobs from start to finish under the supervision of a more senior staff
- Writing Basic Scopes of Work
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS - SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES
- Has experience with the full lifecycle of a design project from start to finish
- A highly motivated individual who works well independently and as a team player.
- At least 4+ years of Full-time experience in interior design required after graduation
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Strong design skills
- Experience commercial and residential projects at a variety of scales
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code
- Understanding of Construction and Contract Administration process
- Time management and organisation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to handle stressful situations and Problem Solve in a calm and respectful manner
- Full working proficiency with design software:
- Microsoft Office, especially with expertise in Excel and Microsoft Word
- Google Drive/G-suits/Google Docs
- Sketchup and Plug-ins
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in interior design, architecture, or foreign equivalent
- G Drivers License
- Your own vehicle
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ASSETS
- Understanding and passion for social media, especially Instagram and Facebook with a desire to help foster and promote the brand of the firm as well as our recognition in the community
- Full-time employment position 40 hours per week
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines.
If you have the required background and would like to join our growing firm, please submit a cover letter that specifically addresses how your skills and experience meet each of the minimum requirements and the additional preferred skills and assets for this position and attach samples of your best work.