Government Relations Contractor
- Rate TBD
- Location Calgary, AB Canada (On-site)
- Type of project Administration, Business consulting & Finance, Sales & Marketing, Writing/Translation Communication, Customer service, Management Consulting, Management processes, Public relations, Translation: English
- Duration contract full time ongoing
- Education required Masters
- Years of experience more than 5
- Type of employment N/A
- Area of Specialization Other
- Languages required N/A Workhoppers Home Calgary AB
The Government Relations Contractor supports the President in achieving and maintaining the Corporation’s objectives, brand and integrity, and is responsible for relationship-building with government representatives and media.
1. Establishes positive relationships with elected officials and civil servants that are purposeful to achieving the goals and strategies
2. Articulates key messages and frames issues to our narratives to elected officials and civil servants in a way that is remembered, repeated and actionable
3. Generates meaningful engagement opportunities for the President and subject matter experts with elected officials and civil servants to advance the goals
4. Profiles our scope of services to key stakeholders to promote and maintain awareness of our’s role in the damage prevention process
5. Secure policy development and legislation mandating registration with Our Corporation to support co-operative development, growth and public safety
6. Complements our’s alignment efforts vis à vis member and key stakeholder public policy positions and strategies
7. Develops measurable SMART objectives (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, timely) in support of role, reporting metrics to President
8. Identifies and complements strategies to engage members in public policy input, lobby campaigns and government relations
9. Advises President and our Government Affairs Committee
10. Monitors news media and government sources for potential changes in regulatory and legislative areas to ensure we reacts effectively and advises its members of the resulting impact on their operations
11. Supports the members in their own lobbying efforts through advice and by opening doors with elected officials and civil servants
12. Writes briefs on particular initiatives for educational, promotional and policy development
Has direct responsibility for established Government Relations expenses, reviewed monthly and adjusted quarterly, if necessary, by the President.
No direct supervision of subordinates unless identified by the President.
Builds strong, collaborative relationships with our members, Government Relations representatives, stakeholder groups and with senior government officials in relevant government departments.
Ø University degree, preferably a Master’s degree in political science, public policy, Canadian studies, economics or a related discipline. Equivalent experience and certified renewable accreditation (such as SCMP and APR) will be considered.
Ø Five to seven years of government relations experience (at the management level) coupled with a strong understanding of government processes and institutions.
Ø Must be a registered lobbyist with Alberta Government or have ability to acquire registration.
Ø Demonstrated competence in strategic planning and organizational management.
Ø Demonstrated experience in tracking public and government issues including forward-looking reports on upcoming legislative and regulatory issues.
Ø Exceptional interpersonal skills, superior oral and written capabilities, including the ability to build professional relationships with government.
Ø Demonstrated ability to communicate to the benefit of organizational goals with a variety of stakeholders (members; academics; government; media) and the ability to respond to member needs (strategically and tactfully) as well as exercise leadership and diplomacy amongst diverse perspectives and priorities.
Ø Able to continuously build relationships across political spectrum (experience working directly with elected and senior non-elected provincial and federal representatives).
Ø Excellent communication skills – both spoken and written.
Ø Regular business hours plus evening and weekend work
Ø Domestic travel
-November 20, 2020