- Rate TBD
- Location Toronto, ON Canada (On-site)
- Type of project Business consulting & Finance, Specialized Help Engineering, Strategy and Planning
- Duration contract full time ongoing
- Education required College/University
- Years of experience more than 5
- Type of employment N/A
- Area of Specialization Engineering
- Languages required N/A Workhoppers Home Toronto ON
Project Manager, Infrastructure and Industrial
We are looking for a Project Manager to join us as we continue to grow serving the Industrial and Infrastructure markets. Our team members are motivated individuals that help each other do remarkable things every day. We’re as diverse as they come but we are all like-minded in our attitudes, staying active learners, staying positive in our work zones and striving to do exceptional work. We face challenges together and we win together. And together, we deliver world-class solutions that quietly transform the way the world thinks about access and maintenance.
We’re looking for someone who is a strong communicator, adept in engineering fundamentals and can lead the team from all the steps starting from concept design following customer specifications all the way through to contract closeout. This includes successfully managing the project budget and P&L, internal and external resources (engineers, manufacturing/procurement, technicians, field subcontractors), performing basic structural, static, and kinematic calculations, ensuring manufacturability of components and solutions, reviewing and approving of shop drawings and production drawings, managing project risks, processing change orders, communicating and coordinating with the client, the client’s representatives and various government authorities as required, and ensuring management is up to speed on project status. This person will champion each of their projects held in their portfolio in all aspects.
Ideally, this person has experience working in cross-functional teams that include mechanical, electrical, structural and hydraulic/pneumatic engineering and integration, not to mention manufacturing and installation work in a custom design-build company.
Processes are typical of construction/heavy manufacturing type industries wherein you will be moving through customer specifications to drawings to review and production. This may include reviewing customer specifications, creating and adhering to budgets, aligning project milestones with client schedules, liaising with clients and government authorities as well as design delivery of solutions. As a Project Manager, you are ultimately responsible for the outcome of the project, which means there are occasions where you personally have to get busy ensuring design drawings are completed, chase down fabricated parts, procure subcontractor resources as required… whatever is reasonable and required to get the project successfully closed.
During your early starting days, you’ll be working with, and possibly leading the sales and business development teams during the proposal and estimation phase to help Tractel minimize its risk exposures and ensure we deliver the best product at the best possible price. Subsequent to the award, you will be managing several of these projects. Of course, as a Project Manager, you’ll also be tasked with directing and mentoring junior engineers, technologists as well as student interns, providing technical support for our field installation works teams and subcontractors and supporting the ethical, technical and operational integrity of the group. A job description would not be complete without a catch all requirement that you perform other duties as assigned by Management.
Our engineering and projects teams are highly collaborative and moves fast on executing new projects and ideas. We try out new ideas constantly, learn from them and execute again.
· Drive the estimation process for sales proposals as required.
· Champion the project completion from sales handoff to closeout, including internal resourcing and management (i.e. P&L/budgets - minimizing variations and securing change orders as required, engineering resourcing, manufacturing support, etc.), external resourcing and client management (i.e. subcontracting tenders, client interactions, end owner interactions, coordination with government authorities with jurisdictions, etc.) and risk (i.e. contract, technical, reputation, etc.).
· Expertly manage and improve every customer relationship, building trust and earning the right to be the first point of contact for each customer.
· Utilize strong understanding of custom design work of large scale steel and aluminum fabricated machines, mechanical and electrical integration, factory/industrial settings, civil and large infrastructure, field experience in construction, installation or related work, to troubleshoot problems with engineering.
· Maintain up to date information and reporting with the Company’s productivity software (i.e. Wrike, MS Office/excel/access, etc.), and/or any other requirements to provide a complete and comprehensive overview of project budgets and activities to upper management.
· Review drawings for completeness and accuracy, including performing basic structural, algebraic and engineering calculation checks for weight, force, moment, etc., as well as notes, welding symbols, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), tolerance stack up analysis, kinematic solutions, manufacturability (i.e. steel, aluminum, welding).
· Ascertain customer requirements, assist customer in RFP/RFQ responses as required, define any opportunities for the company into a saleable format and effectively communicate change order/scope of work to create a viable working concept solution, a proper risk-mitigated estimate and proposal document for the client.
· Support manufacturing processes review, field construction/installation technical assistance, or related work, applying relevant regulatory building codes, structural codes and standards
· Keep up to date with industry knowledge including relevant regulations, health and safety codes, steel, aluminum, welding ASME, ANSI and CSA standards, etc.
· Support business development initiatives during proposal and estimation phase to help the company minimize risk exposures and ensure the client receives the best value for their product purchase.
· Assist in preliminary contract negotiations, ensuring key specifications are highlighted for the estimating team and critical risk parameters are successfully mitigated.
· Direct, support, mentor junior engineers, interns, technologists and other staff members on project teams in their development in the company.
· A P.Eng designation is desirable
· Travel to customer sites as required (0-25%) to successfully manage projects, facilitate client meetings, site technical reviews, or other in-field/customer relationship management tasks, including access at heights as required (travel to the US is a requirement)
· Any other task as directed by management and any other task as assigned from time to time by management.
In order to be considered for this position, you MUST have:
· Min. 5+ years of North American machine design experience that is backed by a Bachelors or higher degree in mechanical, structural or civil and other related engineering disciplines and minimum 10+ years of overall project management and project engineering experience
· Large custom machine design and manufacturing experience.
· Progressive experience in risk management (i.e. contract review, change order management, engineering disciplines, P&L management, etc. ) is required and may provide a basis of your overall compensation
· Strong leadership qualities, including ability to influence, negotiate and close
· Strong understanding of custom design work of large scale steel and aluminum fabricated machines, mechanical and electrical integration, factory/industrial settings, civil and large infrastructure, field experience in construction, installation or related work, are aware of building codes, structural codes
· Superior communications skills in ENGLISH are a must
· Strong working knowledge and demonstrable capability of AutoCAD and MS Office products
· Demonstrable ability to perform basic structural, algebraic and engineering calculations for weight, force, moment so you can do quick field checks of drawings
· Good understanding of welding symbols, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), tolerance stack up analysis, to complete sketches, layout drawings, production/working level drawings with fabrication
· Experience in manufacturing settings and processes (like welding, machining, assembly), field experience in construction, installation or related work, are aware of building codes, structural codes and design standards
· Detail oriented, organized and timely
· A P.Eng designation is desirable
-November 19, 2020