- Rate TBD
- Location Ottawa, ON Canada (On-site)
- Type of project Specialized Help Engineering
- Duration contract ongoing
- Education required College/University
- Years of experience more than 5
- Type of employment N/A
- Area of Specialization Engineering
- Languages required N/A Workhoppers Home Ottawa ON
There is an immediate opening for an experienced Project Manager/Estimator in our downtown Ottawa office. This opportunity requires a results oriented professional, who thrives on accepting new challenges within a fast paced environment. As a Project Manager you will successfully coordinate and execute various construction/renovation projects from start to finish. As an Estimator you will prepare tenders from concept to submission with an emphasis on understanding and evaluating risk.
The ideal candidate will have experience in estimating and managing projects across a wide range of retail and commercial construction and will provide overall construction management from pre-construction to completion in the highest quality manner, while keeping in constant communication with all parties involved throughout the duration of the project.
- Responsible for all aspects of cost estimation for plan and spec projects;
- Accountable for accuracy and completeness of tender submissions;
- Analyze proposal specifications, drawings proposals and addendums in preparation for pricing;
- Prepare estimates by calculating complete take-off (when applicable) of scope of work;
- Formulates all costs for tender submission – labour, equipment, material, rentals and subcontracts;
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials;
- Maintain and build strong relationships with sub-trades;
- Win/negotiate quality work at reasonable margins, carry out special projects as requested, and work to build repeat business with owners, consultants and engineers;
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figure, including current (accurate) information on prices from suppliers;
- Review the estimate, plans, specifications and schedule with a Project Manager after award of project and prior to the construction phase of the project;
- Organize sub-contractor quotes when the bid is successful and assisting the close-out process;
- Scheduling of work, including site visits and monitoring;
- Maintain databases, including labour rates, material pricing and project costs;
- Assists with RFP’s and General Contract tender submissions;
- Assists with Prequalification submissions, RFQ’s and RFI’s as required;
- Meet with clients in a professional manner and have the ability to communicate effectively both the concerns and best interests of the company;
- Prepare and send all submittals, as required;
- Create a working schedule and ensure adherence of same;
- Monitor project performance, schedule, safety, manpower, materials, and quality ;
- Manage all project documentation including: permits and site notifications, CCO, CO, approvals of RFQ’s, PO’s etc.
- Monitor project costs ensuring they are in line with the estimate;
- Manage sub-contractors and their costs to ensure profitability;
- Communicate with management about project progress;
- Utilize Timberline to set-up the project, enter budget estimates and RFQ’s etc.
- Oversee project closeout by arranging for final inspections, building occupancy permits and notice of substantial performance ads, and close out documentation;
- Provide leadership in maintaining and following Direct’s health and safety policies and ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Establish and maintain relations with our valued clients, ensuring the highest levels of customer service.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as an Estimator/Project Manager;
- Possess a construction related degree/diploma;
- Ability to work effectively and accurately in time sensitive situations;
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings and contract documents;
- Knowledge of relevant construction law and building codes;
- Ability to be flexible and work in a fast paced environment;
- Thorough knowledge of contract language / Terms and Conditions / Bonding etc.
- Excellent problem solving and negotiation skills;
- Must have strong leadership skills;
- Superior skills in developing relationships with owners, architects, consultants and sub-trades;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, experience with Timberline would be an asset.
-April 2, 2021