Backend Developer - remote
- Rate TBD
- Location Toronto, ON Canada (From home)
- Type of project IT & Software Agile / Scrum Master, Node.JS, Script Install
- Duration ongoing
- Education required College/University
- Years of experience 2 - 5 years
- Type of employment N/A
- Area of Specialization Computer Sciences
- Languages required N/A Workhoppers Home Toronto ONTELECOMMUTE
As a 100% remote intermediate backend developer, you will first and foremost, be writing secure, tested, and robust code to power our insurance pricing and matching engine using NodeJS and MongoDB .You will also have the opportunity to contribute to other projects as needed. We regularly look at cross-functionality on teams to ensure we leverage everyone’s skill set to make our product the best it can be.
The "no-fluff" benefits
Complex Challenges: In its current state, the insurance industry can make buying insurance unnecessarily complex. Your challenge would be to take that complexity and make it easy for small and mid-sized businesses to understand and select the right coverage using your development experience in a MERN stack environment.
Code is for Humans: Not only are you coding for our users, but you are also coding for other teams and future teams. You will join an environment that believes in strong documentation, commenting on the code, and making things as straightforward as possible without sacrificing code quality and scalability (cutting the right corners).
Everyone Has a Voice: Your opinion matters; but so does the opinion of anyone else that has insight and data that can add value and strength to our design and code. We strongly believe that you should have strong opinions, but they should be loosely held and open to change when presented with new information.
Passionate People: You will join an environment where people love to solve problems (small and complex), are excited to share what they have learned, and who push themselves to make the most of their workweek while ACTUALLY maintaining work-life balance.
• We budget 40% of our sprints for technical enhancements
• Internal hackathons for you to chase a new solution that you think adds value.
• Bi-weekly learning sessions where people from all dev teams can share new ideas, tools, concepts, and solutions.
• Training/education/conference budget.
• Opportunity for long-term growth within a rapidly expanding company.
• Join a diverse team that offers different perspectives and never settles for 'this is just how it's always been done.'
• We have a DevOps team dedicated to making your life easier.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders and the development team to design, build, and implement scalable, user-friendly apps and libraries using NodeJS, and TypeScript
- Add unit tests for all features and functionality
- Perform peer code reviews
- Follow Agile practices, suggest improvements and participate in team events
- Discuss various strategies and architecture, highlighting tradeoffs for potential solutions
- Connect with members from various teams and departments in the organization to get feedback and assess needs
- Develop a strong understanding of the company’s goals and initiatives and help the engineering team deliver on those goals/initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years building rich, complex APIs
- University degree or college diploma in a recognized technical, vocational or academic program (preferably in Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent work experience
- Experience augmenting large software systems
- Experience using testing frameworks like Jest/Mocha
- A passion for clean, reusable, and structured code
- Strong ability to work in a team
- Good time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to speak up and share ideas
Want to learn more about what our Engineering team is up to? Take a look at our TechBlog: https://tech.zensurance.com/
Perks we offer:
· Opportunity to work for Canada’s fastest-growing insurtech startup
· Contemporary office downtown TO, 1 minute from Osgoode Station and 7 minutes from Union Station
· Flexible work environment/work from home arrangements available to everyone
· Modern technology - laptops provided to all staff
· Comprehensive, flexible health, including mental health, and dental plans to suit all lifestyles
· Parental Leave top-up
· Weekly Friday company-wide meetings
· Build next level relationships with your peers through scheduled companywide virtual team building events
· Be a part of something special, we are confident you won’t find any other insurance company like us :)
Who we are. What we're building.
Business is hard work, insurance doesn’t have to be!
We believe that teamwork makes the dream work.
We are passionate about providing business owners with the best insurance solutions at great rates through an online and easy-to-use platform.
Our secret sauce is all about our culture. Our culture is built on four core values that we live and breathe every day, they are:
INTEGRITY: We do what's right.
INCLUDE: We are an open and safe space for all.
INVENT: We take an innovative approach to creating straightforward solutions for our customers.
DELIVER: We set ambitious goals and hold ourselves accountable to achieving them.
-September 17, 2021