Financial Analyst in Toronto
Location:Toronto, ON, Canada (Anywhere)Education level: College/University
Education field: Business
Years of experience:
• A CPA charterholder, and member of ACCA (UK) currently pursuing CFA, having completed over six years in total work experience.
• Excellent financial analysis, financial modeling, credit analysis and accounting skills developed through experience in credit research and investment research.
• Knowledgeable in real estate, retail, financial services, energy, F&B, Telco, hospitality and manufacturing industries.
• Proven track record of effectively working under pressure and multi-tasking while handling multiple engagements and clients.
• Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and research databases such as Bloomberg, Reuters, S&P Capital IQ and FactSet.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills developed through coaching analysts.
Moody’s Analytics, Sri Lanka July 2013-Oct 2019
Senior Financial Analyst July 2017-Oct 2019
Supervised an offshore diversified wholesale lending team of a Dutch multinational bank
• Supervised a team of four credit analysts to carryout credit appraisals, credit ratings, perform covenant analysis, stress testing and analyse financial and non-financial information;
• Executed annual risk assessments on corporate clients, confirming that ratings are valid on a forward looking view;
• Prepared resources in a timely and consistent manner to aid in risk rating activities;
• Assessed, compiled and analysed financial statements and carried out company and industry analysis;
• Conducted peer group comparisons and researched on regulatory changes and industry developments;
• Built and managed complex financial models with scenario analysis to aid in credit appraisals;
• Contributed to rating discussion meetings and industry presentations;
• Trained juniors in the team, provided quality control support by having one-on-one discussions on products, and reviewed work prior to client delivery.
Financial Analyst Jan 2015-June 2017
Functioned as an offshore Financial Analyst reporting to a portfolio manager in charge of an event driven portfolio for a leading US-based mutual fund
• Performed fundamental equity research on a coverage universe, providing investment ideas to the portfolio manager and contributed to the investment performance of the mutual fund;
• Conducted fundamental analysis of the sector, the industry and the companies by liaising with management of companies, industry experts and sell-side analysts;
• Built and maintained comprehensive financial models to arrive at detailed financial projections for companies and to develop valuation analysis of stocks to provide investment recommendations;
• Knowledgeable in sum-of-the-parts, discounted cash flow, relative valuation and net asset valuation techniques;
• Reviewed financial statements with thorough analysis of schedules and notes to formulate a forward looking view on the company;
• Prepared pro-forma financial statements for acquisitions, divestments and spin-offs to aid in stock valuations;
• Conducted research in multiple industries such as real estate, retail, financial services, energy, F&B, Telco, hospitality and manufacturing.
Associate – Investment Research July 2013-Dec 2014
Functioned as an offshore sell-side Associate for ASEAN region coverage of an European investment bank
• Built and maintained detailed financial models with forecasts and scenario analysis for retail and F&B companies to arrive at investment recommendations;
• Thorough analysis of financial statements including notes and schedules, industry drivers, peer comparisons and market specific information to formulate a forward looking view on companies;
• Prepared pro-forma financial statements to aid in forecasting mergers and acquisition scenarios;
• Contributed to publish sell-side initiation notes, earnings updates and conducted industry research to aid team’s sector research publications;
• Prepared investor presentations for bank’s ASEAN sell-side conferences;
• Participated in company earnings calls representing bank’s ASEAN research team;
• Liaised with institutional investors on providing investor recommendations and company and sector specific research data.
Key projects and achievements
• Promoted from Junior Associate to Financial Analyst within a period of 18 months
• Coordinated an automation project with a European third party vendor to capture information on credit agreements, compliance certificates and financial statements
• Built a template from scratch to validate and monitor financial and non-financial covenant compliance for 100+ diversified lending clients
• Obtained Moody’s Analytics ‘Level 3.5 and Level 3 Consultant/ Senior Analyst Certifications’ in recognition of technical competencies in research, financial modeling, forecasting based on logical assumptions, and valuation
• Completed Moody’s Analytics commercial lending training program covering essential aspects in corporate lending
• Completed Moody's Analytics foundations training program which covers all essential aspects of the entire equity research cycle, investment recommendation, and investment note writing, placing an emphasis on attention to detail, critical thinking and soft skills training
• Subsequently appointed to the review panel of Moody’s Analytics’ internal skill certification program and further supported the training programs conducted for commercial lending and equity research
• Contributed to Moody's Analytics internal knowledge sharing portal by contributing to articles focusing on the impact of latest financial trends to businesses
• In 1Q18, my team was recognized as the ‘most valuable team’ by Group HR
• In 2014, I was recognized as the ‘Emerging Employee’ of the year by the Group HR
Bachelor of Business Studies (Accounting and Finance), Massey University, New Zealand Feb 2010 – Dec 2012
Honored as a ‘Dean’s Scholar’
Dean’s list 2010, 2011 and 2012
Diploma of Business, Monash College, Australia July 2007- June 2009
Dean’s list 2008 and 2009
Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada, CPA Canada January 2020
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, UK June 2016
Member of the Association
No reviews yet.